Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Beginnings

Who?

I'm an undergraduate student at the University of Toronto working on software development support tools for climate scientists, funded by a national science and engineering research council undergraduate summer research award (NSERC-USRA). I'm working with four other students under the supervision of Steve Easterbrook.

What?

So far, the only constraint is that we work on developing tools that might be useful to the researchers at the Met Office Hadley Centre and similar departments around the world. I'm just starting to learn about how they work. These researchers develop complex software models of climate systems and run them as experiments, comparing results with other projections and real world observation. They work in Fortran on code that has components still in use decades after their original conception, and have recently started collaborating more heavily with other research groups abroad.

Why?

I'm starting this blog to help me organize my thoughts for my summer research position. I figure I'll discuss what I'm working on now and where I think we should be going in the future, plus any difficulties I'm having. I'll toss up what I've been reading with links and summaries to jog my memory, too. I hope it'll be useful to my teammates to be able to see what I'm working on - and to correct me when I'm off base.

No comments:

Post a Comment